It is winter time and most of us might prefer to be cuddled up in bed with a book. But not all of us! Winter is a great time to go and explore camping around Australia. It is a time when you can get rugged up in front of an open fire and cook marshmallows. See the sights of Australia, or even one of our favourites, Nagambie.
The Purbrick Family loves a good camp out and a good heart-warming cook up. These are some of their favourite camping dessert recipes which are sure to please the whole family and who doesn’t like dessert?
There is nothing like a warming dessert cooked in the fire. This is a recipe we love and easy for the kids to prepare – Orange Campfire Brownies. This recipe can be for as many as you like. We’ve laid it out for eight people.
- 8 medium size oranges
- 1 packet of brownie mix
- Aluminium foil
- Cup the tops off the oranges (keep them – don’t throw away!)
- Scoop out pulp from the bottom half and put aside
- Mix up your brownie mix
- Pour the mix into the oranges until they are 2/3rds full
- Put the top of the orange back on as a lid
- Wrap the oranges in foil
- Place in fire for 15-20 minutes, somewhere you can grab out with your tongs.
- To test if ready use a toothpick or skewer to check the brownie is ready.
Grab a stick
You’re out in nature so let’s use it to help us do some creative cooking. These little beauties are called Cinnamon Sticks, cooked aptly on a stick over the fire and dunked in sugar and cinnamon. Serves 8 people.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Cup of milk
- Pinch of salt
- Ground cinnamon (and a bit of nutmeg never goes astray)
- Caster sugar
- 1/3 cup of butter melted
- To make the bread rub the butter through the flour until crumbly
- Mix in the salt, sugar and enough milk to form a firm but flexible dough
- Divide up the dough and roll into long logs
- Find and clean some dry sticks and wrap around your bread (don’t make it too thick)
- Hold it over the campfire to cook until brown.
- Remove from the stick and roll in the cinnamon and sugar or curl it over the end of your stick then fill the insides up with butter and honey.
Yum, yum and yum. Just writing out these recipes is making us hungry and keen to hit the road to go camping this winter!
Stay safe on the roads and happy camping holiday.