One of the best kept secrets in the Nagambie Lakes region is the Avenel Maze. If you are bringing the kids up for a holiday, or live locally, this is a treat you can’t afford to miss out on. This hidden secret is tucked away in the Strathbogie Ranges, just over an hour from Melbourne.
As you enter you will see the most spectacular hedge maze you have seen in a while, lush, green and tall enough so even the tallest adult won’t be able to see over the top of the hedge. As you take in the views of the beautiful Strathbogie Ranges the hedge maze is not all there is to do. There is also a mini golf, a rock labyrinth, two more mazes and BBQ facilities.
So what should you know before you head out for a few hours to enjoy this a-MAZE-ing place?
- It is BYO. So, first thing you need to do is visit a nearby Cellar Door and get your goodies. Pop by Avenel Meats on the way for your BBQ supplies and try to time your visit with a local farmers market.
- Get your thinking cap on. One of the amazing mazes is themed with Ned Kelly. Get ready to grab your quiz sheet and hunt for clues as you learn about the history of Ned Kelly in the region.
- Beware of the mosquitos. The lush green surrounds can offer up a few mozzies on a humid day, so come prepared if you have people in your group who don’t fancy being bitten.
- Bring plenty of food. You’ll be surprised with how much you can do here. 3 hours is a pretty standard stay here so don’t forget to stock up on food and water before you head off on your adventure. Once you get into the treasure hunt you might stay a lot longer than you think.
- There is a fee to enter and cash only. Sadly this is not a free activity but we think it is worth the money to ensure the up keep of the grounds. There are single and family packages available – you just need to check out their website for current prices.
- Open every day during school holidays BUT otherwise you need to book. Have you been caught out with country open and close times before? We always advise people to look at the website or call the business before they turn up. In the case of the Avenel maze we would say the same. That being said school holidays are a winner every time for the maze.Go
So now you know it’s here it is worth taking a look. A very different maze with an English garden feel, stunning views over the Australian rocky landscape and native wildlife to keep you company. Hidden gems of the Strathbogie Ranges – bundle up the kids and get going.