This delicious recipe is by John Purbrick who has a love for all things delicious.
It is winter time, a great time to enjoy some warming pumpkin soup. It is pumpkin season too – do you have some growing in your garden?
We hope you enjoy this recipe from The Chairmans Kitchen.
• 1.5kg pumpkin ~ peeled, seeded and cut into 2cm cubes
• 150 gms white potatoes ~ peeled and cubed
• 1 medium onion – peeled and fine diced
• 2 cloves garlic ~ peeled and cut into slivers
• ½ a small handful fresh oregano or thyme
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• 1.25 litres chicken stock
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 50gm butter
Heat oil and butter and fry onion until soft.
Stir in sliced garlic, oregano or thyme, pumpkin and potato and cook stirring for 1 minute.
Add salt, pepper and chicken stock and simmer for 25 minutes until pumpkin is soft.
Strain a third of the stock from the saucepan and set aside. Pulse the remainder in a food processor until the contents are thick and then return to the saucepan with the stock that was
Stir together, re-heat and check for seasoning.
Plate up with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and serve with a crusty sourdough loaf.
The nutty/spicy characters of the latest Tahbilk 2009 Marsanne make it a worthy consideration here.